It is that time of year again...
Every holiday season, Hilltop sees an increase in notebook computers and wireless devices stolen from Washington DC office buildings. Typically, the thieves sneak into the office with the cleaning crew at the end of the day. They then slip out unnoticed after everyone has left the office.
Here are some tips for reducing the risk of having your equipment stolen:
- Invest in computer locks. They are inexpensive and make it just a little bit harder for someone to walk away with a portable computer. Don't forget to take the key home with you. Thieves know to check your desk drawers for the key and combinations!
- Do not leave iPhones, iPads, or other wireless devices in the office overnight. These devices are very useful and also very tempting for thieves.
- Enable the FindMyiPhone app on your IOS devices. At least if the device gets stolen, you can remotely wipe the device or locate it.
- Make sure that your IT company has installed some type of tracking tool on your portable computers. Hilltop uses and recommends Kaseya Remote Monitoring and Mangement Tool. We install it on all of our managed service client computers.
- Never leave a computer or wireless device in your car. Not only will the thieves take your stuff, they will leave you with a shattered window.